Monday, April 2, 2012

Padma|a birth story

Aubrey and I meet about two years ago, both photographers in the area, we did a couple of shows together, had some coffees, at of course Starbucks.  But the biggest honor of our friendship was when she trusted me enough to photograph the birth of the baby she was a surrogate for. 

I got an excited facebook message on March 26th at about 8:16am that Aubrey was headed to the hospital,  about an hour later I spoke to her on the phone, impressed you could not tell she was in full on labor.
  
I arrived at about 1pm, as we anxiously awaited the arrival of the dad's from New York.  Aubrey labored and then was back to business on her phone or working the crowd (:  I was in awe of the team her and her doula created as she helped her through the ever growing strength of the contractions.  I was in a room full of love and you could feel it all around you.  Aubrey wasn't just doing something wonderful, she IS something wonderful and all these people loved her and wanted to be there to help her.

 
Though help is not something she needed much of, her strength to labor through with out drugs was amazing, and I was just in awe of her resolve and strength!

 The dads arrived a little after 2pm and it was just in time because baby was ready to come into the world.  The delivery moved quickly and I was in tears watching again the room that was filled with love for this soon to be family.  The dads faces as Aubrey pushed, her doula as she stroked her hair and spoke reassuringly to her, her friends as they beamed upon her and encouraged her with their touch, her husband was in the corner and you could see him holding his breath and her daughter, her face a ever changing sea of emotions as she watched her mother give birth.


 
I don't know how they became a couple, honestly I know very little of the dads, but I stood in that room and watched them, no I experienced a moment I can not describe as they became a family, two dads a beautiful little baby girl and a women who grew her, loved her and brought her into the world. 

 As baby Padma was laid upon Aubrey's belly, Eng cried such tears of happiness as Marius kissed him, it was a moment that will forever stay in my memory and springs tears to my own eyes....it was in that moment I saw truth, faith...LOVE.
 
In the moments following birth I watched these men tenderly touch Aubrey's head and whisper thank you, with tears streaming down their faces.


 
I was honored to be a part of Padma's birth story and I know this is one that will stay with me for years and years to come.

 
Aubrey, Eng, Marius and Padma, thank you for allowing me to be present the day you became a family,  for encircling even me with your love and allowing me to tell your birth story through my lens.




 
Creatively Jenn
xoxo











1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jenn, this made me cry. What a beautiful story. I wish I would have known you when I had my birth son and as his family welcomed him into this world. You told this story so wonderfully.
    XOXO Katie

    ReplyDelete